Built in 1900 for the community of Clearfield, Kansas, this historic school building is now on the National Register of Historic Places.
Clearfield was one of the first communities established in the Kansas Territory in the 1850s. The community was settled almost exclusively by German immigrants. The community at one point had a Grange, a Post Office, a Church and a School. Little remains of the community today
In 1991 the Clearfield Grange transferred ownership of Clearfield School to Clearfield Community Historical Society. This beautiful, well-built, building was placed on the Kansas register and National Register of Historic Place in 2013.
A major interior and exterior renovation was completed in 2014. In the future, the major goal is to replace the now missing bell and bell tower as shown in early photographs. Its architectural significance is seen in its ornamental windows and fishscale siding in the Queen Anne and Stick style. The Historical Society has overseen much of the restoration work to bring it back to its original splendor.
Call before visiting. Interior may not be open for public viewing.
2162 N 600 Road
Baldwin City, KS 66006
Mobile #2: 785-766-0494
National Register of Historic Places