In the 1800s the Concordia, Missouri, area was settled by German immigrants.
Hundreds of visitors from Missouri and a number of other states have toured the Concordia Area Museum since it opened in February, 2003. The museum, sponsored by the Concordia Area Heritage Society, is located in three rooms on the middle floor of the Concordia Community Center.
Items for viewing have been donated by present and past residents, including Kathryn Kuhlman, renowned evangelist, born in Concordia, Missouri.
Collection includes: household and farm goods, historical records, area business memorabilia, military uniforms and equipment, and photographs.
Among the items is an old spinning wheel and carder brought to America in the 1840s from Hanover, Germany, by the great-grandfather of a local resident.
Another former resident donated tools and other items from the former blacksmith shop here, operated by his father. The items include a froe, a cleaving tool having a wedge-shaped blade and an off-set handle, a branding iron, a plowshare and a piece of wood from the Old Lutheran Church.
Melba Boeschen, a former museum coordinator, donated many items from Topsy's, the cafe opened here in 1912, which she and her husband operated from 1953 to 1979.
An old loom on which rugs were woven for local families in the late 1800s and early 1900s, antique toys, clothing and daily items are on display to help us better remember and understand the life and the history of our community.
802 S. Gordon St.
Concordia, MO 64020
Wheel Chair Accessible