Three of the great military stories of the West are told here: the history of the U.S. Cavalry, the "Big Red One" Infantry Division, and Gen. George Armstrong Custer.
The 1st Infantry Division and U.S. Cavalry Museum are being renovated. Exhibits have been opened at a temporary location.
Constructed in 1855 of native limestone, the Custer House reflects Fort Riley's earliest history and authentically depicts military home life on the western frontier during the Indian Wars Period.
It is largely unchanged from its original design and furnished with period furniture from the 1880s and 1890s. It is believed that General and Mrs. Custer occupied the sister-set of quarters (#21) while stationed here in 1866. This building is the only double set of surviving officers' quarters from the fort's early history.
Visitors without a DOD ID card who wish to enter Fort Riley are reminded that a temporary Fort Riley Access Pass or Badge is required. Cell phone usage is not permitted while driving a vehicle on Fort Riley. Find more information about accessing the museums at Fort Riley here.
Temporary Museum hours: Mon-Sat 9 am-4:30 pm; Sun 12-4:30 pm. Custer House is open Memorial Day to Labor Day, Mon-Sat 10 am-4 pm; Sun 1-4 pm
Fort Riley, KS 66442
Wheel Chair Accessible