Housed in an 1887 Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad on the property of the former Kansas State Penitentiary, the museum interprets the history of Lansing and the State Penitentiary.
The Lansing Depot is a historically accurate restoration of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe depot built in lansing, originally located across from the intersection of Helen and Main St. The building is the only original public/commercial building standing, other than a small, turn-of-the-century bank, which remains in the once-prosperous downtown area. Built in 1887, the Lansing Depot was used by the railway through the middle of the 20th century.
By 1989, the demolition of the Depot seemed unavoidable. Some enterprising Lansing citizens formed the Lansing Historical Society, whose main goal was to save the Depot from destruction. The Depot was given to the Lansing Historical Society with the stipulation that the Depot must be moved from its original site. The Lansing Correctional Facility offered a location on its grounds and the Depot has resided there since 1992.
115 E. Kansas Avenue
Lansing, KS 66043